The 6th cycle of The RESIDENCY (Spring 2017) application started on the 1st of October, 2016 and the deadline of which was 20th of October 2016.
- 5 applications were received from from 3 Arab countries as follows: Egypt (2), Morocco (2), Syria (1)
- all applications were submitted in the last 7 days of the open call
- 40% of the applications were submitted in Arabic and 60% in English. No applications were in Tamazight, Kurdish, or German
- 50% of the applicants are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-nine, 50% between the ages of thirty and thirty-nine, none of the applicants were above the age of forty
- 50% of applicants are first-time directors
- All applications were submitted by the directors of the projects
- Gender split was 1 female applicant and 5 males.
- Applications were made for 2 short films and 3 mid-length documentaries.
- 40% of the projects have a producer or a co-producer, or both, attached
- 40% projects have secured funding prior to applying
- Average length of audiovisual material submitted per project is 40 minutes
- 20% of applicants consisted of teams with 1 director and either a co-director or an editor. 80% of applicants requested to be appointed with an editor by DOX BOX
- Subjects address themes such as: Video activism and documentation; identity; space and cultural representation.
Final assessment of applications:
- All submitted projects were forwarded to the Selection Committee
- The Selection Committee consisted of producer Ayman Elamir from Egypt, Film Curator and Co-founder of ALFILM Berlin Claudia Jubeh from Germany, and Filmmaker and Sound Engineer Moncef Taleb from Tunisia.
- None of the applied projects was eligible for the Residency. Thus, no project has been granted.
- All applicants were notified directly with their results.