The 5th cycle of The RESIDENCY (Fall 2016) application started on the 1st of May, 2016 and the deadline of which was May 31st, 2016.
For this cycle, and in order to encourage a broader spectrum of applicants from the Arab World to apply to the RESIDENCY; the call for applications gave priority to applications from the following countries: Algeria, Jordan, Morocco, Libya, Tunisia, Yemen. Nevertheless, eligible projects from other Arab countries were welcomed to apply. This geographical focus was communicated through the website, newsletter and facebook page of DOX BOX e.V.
- 4 applications were received from from 5 Arab countries as follows: Algeria (1), Egypt (1), Morocco (1), Syria (2)
- all applications were submitted in the last 7 days of the open call
- 50% of the applications were submitted in Arabic and 50% in English. No applications were in Tamazight, Kurdish, or German
- 14% of the applicants are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-nine, 86% between the ages of thirty and thirty-nine, none of the applicants were above the age of forty
- 25% of applicants are first-time directors
- All applications were submitted by the directors of the projects
- Gender split was 43% females and 57% males.
- Applications were made for 1 feature-length, 1 short, and 2 mid-length documentaries.
- 25% of the projects have a producer or a co-producer, or both, attached
- 75% projects have secured funding prior to applying
- Average length of audiovisual material submitted per project is 45 minutes
- 50% of applicants consisted of teams with 1 director and either a co-director or an editor. 50% of applicants requested to be appointed with an editor by DOX BOX
- Subjects address themes such as: Video activism and documentation; urban development, displacement and the right to land; women’s rights and their political and social representation, and the portrait of political turmoil.
Final assessment of applications:
- All submitted projects were forwarded to the Selection Committee
- The Selection Committee consisted of seasoned filmmaker Anders Ostergaard from Denmark, filmmaker and Head of Grants at the Doha Film Institute Khalil Benkirane from Morocco, and Deputy Director and Films Program Manager at the Arab Fund for Arts and Culture – AFAC Rima Mismar from Lebanon.
- All applicants were notified directly with their results.
- The following projects were granted The RESIDENCY:
- Landless Moroccans | by Soraya El Kahlaoui, Intissar Jbeiha and Anonymous | Morocco and Algeria | 60 minutes
- Amal | by M. Siam | Egypt | 90 minutes |