The 7th cycle of The RESIDENCY MENA (Summer 2017) application started on the 1st of February, 2017 and the deadline of which was 20th of February 2017.
- 8 applications were received from from 4 Arab countries as follows: Egypt (4), Morocco (1), Syria (1), Tunis (1), Lebanon (1)
- 38% of the applications were submitted in Arabic and 62% in English. No applications were in Tamazight, Kurdish, or German
- 17% of the applicants are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-nine, 73% between the ages of thirty and thirty-nine, none of the applicants were above the age of forty
- 67% of applicants are directors with previous experience and 33% of applicants are first-time directors
- All applications were submitted by the directors of the projects
- Gender split was 34% female applicants and 66% males.
- 12% of the applications were made for feature length documentaries, while 88% were made for mid-length documentaries
- 63% of the projects have a producer or a co-producer, or both, attached
- 63% projects have secured funding prior to applying
- Average length of audiovisual material submitted per project is 70 minutes
- 25% of applicants consisted of teams with 2 (either a director and editor or 2 co-directors). While 75% of applicants were a director requesting to be appointed with an editor by DOX BOX
- Subjects addressed themes such as: Identity in a changing political landscape; self expression and activism.
Final assessment of applications:
- Six projects were eligible and were forwarded to the Selection Committee
- The Selection Committee consisted of Reem Bader from Jordan/Palestine (Visual artist and founding director of The Creative Documentary Platform), Orwa Nyrabia from Syria/Germany (producer), and Sara Ishaq from Yemen/Scotland (Filmmaker).
- The following project was granted The RESIDENCY cycle of Summer of 2017:
- The Normal Way | 73 min. | Erige sehiri an Hafedh Laaridhi | Tunisia